Hugo Award: Short Story Nominees
Posted by: Misha Stone
Yesterday I met with Other Realms, a science fiction and fantasy book group, to discuss the 2012 Hugo Awards nominees for best short story. Jared, the group facilitator and a member of SFWA, talked with the group about how Hugo selections are nominated and voted on by SFWA members.
Then we dove into discussing the short stories and sharing our opinions about them. Here are the nominees:
Best Short Story
- “The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees”, E. Lily Yu (Clarkesworld)
- “The Homecoming”, Mike Resnick (Asimov’s)
- “Movement”, Nancy Fulda (Asimov’s)
- “The Paper Menagerie”, Ken Liu (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction)
- “Shadow War of the Night Dragons: Book One: The Dead City: Prologue”, John Scalzi (Tor.com)
The group had a fantastic time hashing through the strengths and weaknesses of each story. Then, the group got a chance to vote. There was some discussion over what story the group thought might win based on the history of what the Hugo often chooses.
I thought that reading the short story nominees was a brilliant idea for a book group. Anyone else done this? Anyone else voting?